A new ransomware called Snake is targeting organisations entire networks. The terrifying trend sees whole enterprises being targeted, instead of single users. There is a growing list of threatening enterprise targeting ransomware, including Ryuk, LockerGoga and Sodinokibi.
Criminals orchestrating ransomware infections will infiltrate a business network, gather admin credentials and then encrypt the files on all of the computers on the network. No fun for businesses as this results in business downtime, loss of business, time and money.
Most of the time, ransomware is spread by phishing emails so it’s important to automatically link the two and ensure you understand the detrimental risks; especially when both are on the rise.
What is Snake Ransomware?
It has been suggested that Snake ransomware is written with a much difficult gobbilygoo making it harder to be detected by anti-virus software. This makes it hard to identify where, how and what the ransomware is doing and therefore makes finding the solution, even harder.
The implications of Ransomware
Ransomware can cause detrimental damage to an organisations business operations, including:
- Loss of data (taken by the cyber criminals)
- Which results in business downtime
- Leading to loss of business and productivity
- It can create a major dent in your fiances (in more ways than one) and
- Cause great damage to your reputation (Both new and existing clients/customers)
It could be catastrophic for a business unless you have taken the recommended measures to help prevent an attack.
How to protect yourself from Ransomware?
- You’ll need a proper IT infrastructure in place
- Ensure you update and patch all devices frequently
- Your network needs to be monitored 24/7
- Security awareness training for your users is vital
- Read our blog on phishing emails and our webinar on how to spot a phishing email as a starting point
- A robust firewall is also required
Two of the most important ways to protect yourself is having a Cyber Security Solution in place and a Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Solution tailored to your business goals and needs.
There is a lot more that goes into protecting your organisation and unfortunately we now live in a world where it’s not “if” but “when” will you be attacked by ransomware, it’s no longer a situation where “it won’t happen to us”.
If you need help with your cyber security or would like someone to access how to improve your current security, contact us to discuss your organisations needs.