We’ve all heard about the rise in cyber-attacks and thought “it won’t happen to me”, but when the head of the UK’s National Cyber Security Centre warns of a major attack on the UK it’s a matter of when, not if.
It’s now more important than ever to ensure your systems and data are as secure as possible because the number of ways your data is vulnerable is rising. In many cases, it’s not a focus on technology, but the user’s knowledge and awareness that will increase your data security tenfold.
- 70% of IT professionals believe that up to half their company data loss incidents were due to the use of unauthorized programs.
- 46% of employees admit to transferring files between personal and work computers when working from home.
- 44% of employees share work devices with others without supervision.
- 39% of IT professionals admit to having dealt with an employee accessing unauthorized areas of a company’s network or facility.
Luckily, there are a few simple steps that can reduce these daunting figures.
- Know your data and manage it well
- Implement tracking tools and processes that record your data movements, how it’s accessed and by whom.
- Determine the types of data that require unique protection protocols.
- Cultivate standard codes for secure conduct in your business
- Constantly be aware of surroundings, security, and the processes to undergo for different levels of confidentiality.
- Establish a security awareness and education practice in your business
- Educate employees about company expectations for protecting data, both through virtual and physical training.
- Nurture a culture of openness and trust
- Once employees know what to look out for, they need to feel comfortable and confident in reporting an incident.
If you have any questions or concerns on any of the above then please contact Complete I.T. to book a meeting on 01628 552 860 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete I.T. are an IT Support Provider focusing on the SME market, we believe being local to our clients is key in enabling us to get to them quickly and easily at critical times. As a consultative business, we work closely with our clients and industry partners to ensure we can add value to those we work with. One way we do this is through organising Cyber Security and GDPR workshops and events that are open to everyone if you’re interested please get in touch.
Learn more about outsourced IT support from Complete I.T.